Tuesday, November 1, 2011

WE ALL HAVE OUR GLASSES ON

The freedom to think is a great gift, and little appreciated by some.  I was listening to Tom Brokaw this morning and he was quoting someone (I wish I could remember who) while discussing this topic. "Do not become hostage to other people's orthodoxy."  That really struck a note with me.  Whether it was a b flat or an g sharp is not germane to this discussion.  It did give me a key (I'm so sorry but I had to.) to some of my thoughts lately.  It is so easy to think like those to whom we are exposed every day.  I'm not saying that  it is wrong, but it is like the flow of water.  It just happens.  It isn't inevitable that we think that way.  Dams, dikes, spillways, and canals are built for a reason.  They change the flow of the water.

I like to view our ability to "see through the lens of history" or maybe our ability to "see through rose colored glasses" as the flow changer.  When two people witness the same event, they don't always agree on the details when they view it through their mind's eye, nor can two people read the same information and always come up with the same conclusions.  Seeing this "cartoon" the other day really put my mind in gear.  "What would my friends think if I post this?"  "Will people think I'm mocking how they perceive God?"  "Am I willing to deal with the 'comments' people will make?"  My conclusion is this.  I allow others to perceive God in the way they do, so why can't I share my perceptions?  Now, does one cartoon share my perception of God.  Absolutely not!  This cartoon, through my lens, just shows how differently, and how honestly we perceive Him.  It isn't mean to belittle or "put down" anyone's view, but it does show that I have a different view than many people with whom I flow.  
Let the discussion begin.  I mean, so many people read my blog!!

Foshinator


2 comments:

  1. I really appreciate these thoughts because in the midst of your journey to be true to your "flow" you are still allowing other people the space to see with their glasses. When we can allow each other such space and grace we are living with a spirit of fluidity and discovery versus defensiveness and fear. And btw, we agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comments are underwhelming!

    On the cartoon and post, I will let you know what I think when I have heard from the masses. jk Brokaw also spoke of taking responsibility for making things different. Something to the effect of 'we can be the new greatest generation'. There is a fine balancing act between the two mysteries we discussed tonite in our Bible study with the kids. The reality God is in control and the contrasting reality that we are responsible for making our decisions. Interesting tension.

    James

    ReplyDelete