Thursday, April 7, 2011

My Obama Sign

Still voting for OBAMA even though you stole my sign.

Way back in 2008 I went through my usual routine, except this year I had changed parties.  I spent lots of time researching the candidates, searching my heart for my philosophy, and settled on two.  Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama were my choices.  Long story short, I jumped on the Obama band wagon, and did my usual small amount of campaigning.  I talk to people, and I get bumpers stickers and yard signs.  A funny thing happened with the yard sign.  No matter how many Obama signs I put up, someone would steal them.  I actually found that sad, a bit creepy, and I made it my cause to keep a sign up.  Finally I put up the sign you see, and guess what?  I know!  What a surprise!  It was stolen again.  I'm so glad we have a picture of it.

In 1808 Thomas Jefferson wrote to Richard M. Johnson and said the following:
  •  "It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions."

To the Facebook friend or friends who reported me as spammy or offensive.  I offer no apology for my ideals.  We may differ in ideology, but we don't differ in what we want for our country.  I just think there is a different way to get there than you do.  If you value our rights to free speech, then please don't squelch mine.  It's very simple to just "unfriend" me and leave it at that.  I love reading and listening to opposing views.  I, yes, "hear me", I watch Glenn Beck.  I generally don't agree with him, but I don't try to shut him down. (Obviously I'm not sad to see him go.) Please give me the same respect.

Let the sign stealing begin!!!
Foshinator



2 comments:

  1. Footnote: Facebook no longer considers me spammy or offensive!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I respect the way you handled this. It is uncommon however for people in general to have the capacity to debate, banter, disagree and think together in a healthy way.

    The fact that we get to be dynamic, ever transforming thinkers excites me about life. The struggle is that is takes a teachable spirit and dialogue.

    ReplyDelete