Friday, April 8, 2011

SMILE - THE BEACH BOYS

Not to be confused with the Brian Wilson release of SMILE in 2004, The Beach Boys will be releasing the SMILE SESSIONS this year.  Oh Rapture! Oh Joy!!  I became a fan of the Beach Boys when I was 13. I bought the Endless Summer album and fell in love.  Then I discovered how recording studios worked, and realized that the mixes used on Endless Summer were not meant to be in stereo.  Wilson's mono mixes are brilliant, and they studio musicians they used, "The Wrecking Crew", are masterful. (Thank you Carol Kaye for emailing me occasionally.) 

Now on to SMILE.  This project was abandoned when Brian Wilson had his breakdown in 1968 and with few exceptions he never returned to the project with The Beach Boys.  Now Capital is releasing highlights of the 50+ studio sessions, and have enough material to present a somewhat complete Smile album.  Rock historians and Beach Boys geeks (yes I am both) consider this the Holy Grail of unreleased material.

Why did I blog about this?  Cuz I can!  Cuz I'm excited! Cuz I like to SMILE!!!

Foshinator

No comments:

Post a Comment